Alan McNeill has 25 years experience in fisheries management specializing in freshwater species. His primary interests are population enumeration for various species in streams and lakes, habitat assessment for salmonids, aquaculture, regulation development, creel and angler surveys, and sportfish promotion. Al has a BSc. (Honours, Marine Biology) from the University of Guelph and several technical certifications including Certified Electrofishing Crew Leader, Seafarers and Wilderness First Aid, Swiftwater Safety Technician, SCUBA diver, Marine Emergency Duty, Coastal Navigation, Certified Installer for Watercourse Alterations.
Al has worked with the Department of Fisheries and Oceans and the Nova Scotia Department of Fisheries and Aquaculture in Halifax and Pictou, Nova Scotia. Al is currently Director with the Inland Fisheries Division of the Nova Scotia Department of Fisheries and Aquaculture. Al is the Past President of the Atlantic International Chapter of the American Fisheries Society and recipient of the Premiers Award of Excellence in 2007 for his work on the Environmental Monitoring Program for Marine Aquaculture. Al currently lives in New Glasgow, Nova Scotia.
- “Al was fantastic! Very encouraging, entertaining and knowledgeable”. Tanya Prystay, Biologist, Stantec, Burnaby BC
- “Great instruction! Excellent knowledge base and a keen interest to share experience and enthusiasm for field biology”. Micki Steedman, Biologist, Stantec, Burnaby BC
- “Alan McNeil and Darren were amazing instructors. Super knowledgeable, encouraging and friendly. We all learned so much and received great practical tips”. Elaine Leung, Biologist, Vancouver BC
- “Just want to say that I really enjoyed the course. Al really helped create a collaborative learning environment and a feeling of teamwork that was greatly appreciated. I also felt very safe throughout the course, knowing that we were in good hands. Here’s to hoping for another course with you guys!” Luke Warkentin, Environmental Scientist, Stantec, Vancouver BC
- “Al McNeill was fantastic!, knowledgeable, helpful and enthusiastic. Course exceeded my expectations”. Noel Soogrim, Toronto, Ontario