Format: 1) Online and field training (Self-directed) OR 2) Field training (Instructor-led)
Advance your career as a skilled Aboriginal guardian with the Aboriginal Guardian Program (AGP). This program is a 200-hour applied training program that teaches skills and abilities in four core skill areas: safety and fieldwork, management, environmental monitoring, identification and assessment, and management skills. Upon completion, you will be qualified to fulfill Land Guardian, Watchman, Field Supervisory, and Land Management positions.
This program is offered in two delivery formats. In one format, NRTG instructors will deliver theory online in short, focused presentations and assign field practicum exercises to students who then conduct field exercises and assignments on their own. In the second format, NRTG will place an Assistant instructor in the community who then leads the various field practicum sessions and provide in-person mentoring to students.
- Observe, record and report environmental field data
- Conduct standard environmental assessments and inventories for: water, plants and trees, wildlife, fish, and soil
- Operate, calibrate and maintain a wide variety of environmental field equipment and ‘tools’
- Identify and classify types of vegetation, wildlife, fish and soils
- Conduct water quality and field assessment procedures
- Identify and interpret environmental field conditions
- Design and implement field programs
- Develop reports and communicate results with industry stakeholders
- Conduct environmental monitoring during construction projects
- Manage contracts and projects, staffing, budgets, resource scheduling, and crew supervision.
- Interpret and implement environmental legislation
- Identify sensitive species and uphold sensitive habitat working windows
- Conduct erosion and sediment control measures
- Write effective business communications, reports and project proposals
This Course Includes
- Customizable option
- Free, lifetime access
- Aboriginal Guardian Program Certificate
Participants are required to bring their own equipment:
- Personal protective field clothing
- Waterproof field notebook
- Access to a computer and the Internet
Check out our FAQs on equipment.
- A standard one or two-day First Aid course
Check out our FAQs on the Aboriginal Guardian Program.
Next Available Course
|Course Name||Land Guardian Program - November 14 - December 16, 2022|
|Course Dates||November 14, 2022 - November 14, 2022|
|Instructors||Instructors will be announced at a later date.|
|Contact||For inquiries on this course, please contact NRTG at:|